I took part in the One Four Challenge during a few month but I only tried some effects and tools in Photoshop. So for this month I decided to set goals to learn a bit more. Here they are:
Week 1: Working with layers in Photoshop
Week 2: Using layer masks in Photoshop
Week 3: Create a rough pastel picture
Week 4: Create light from nothing
This is my original picture for March:
And this is my edit for the first week:
Here are the steps I made:
1. I opened my original picture and a new file with a transparent layer in Photoshop.
2. I made a background with the gradient tool in the new file.
3. I selected the girl with the quick selection tool copied her and paste her in the new file on a new layer.
4. I cut the picture in pieces. I always selected a part of the girl and created from each part a new layer using the option “Layer Via Cut”. So I had all of the parts on a separate layer and I could move them separately in every way I wanted. I decided to slip some parts of the girl to the right and some other parts to the left, so you can see where I have the different layers.
5. I created one more layer, and on this one I drew white lines to the edge of the parts with the pencil tool (with holding shift you get easily straight lines) and blurred the lines a bit with gaussian blur.
6. I created once again a new layer and added some colour to the picture with the brush tool using red, yellow and some blue or more like turquoise. Than I changed this normal layer to a Hard Light layer, so the colours which I painted stand out a bit.
7. I set the opacity of the body layers to 50%.
That’s all about working with layers for the first week.
Feedback, tips and comments are welcome.